About Us

About The General Company for Phosphate And Mines

About The General Company for Phosphate And Mines

The general company of phosphate and mines, established in 1970 with decree no /122/.

It’s subsidiary to the general association of geology and mines, it’s function is to get the benefit of non-mineral raw materials in the Syrian Arab Republic territories, and charged with the following tasks:

– The Production, investment and concentration of the raw materials of phosphate.

– The creation of necessary plants for producing and investing the non-mineral materials in the ministry of petroleum and mines jurisdiction.

– Administrating means of transportation of the company projects besides the ports charge pavements.

– carrying out all contracts and agreements necessary to conduct its mission in production, investment and marketing.

The General Manager: Eng. Osama Mahmoud Hashem

The general administration is located in Hims with branch directorates in productions sites all over country:

– Eastern Mine.
– Khnefis Mine.
– Loading Management.
– Transport branch. 

The raw materials of phosphate are mined from two major sites:

Khnefis and Eastern Mines with a medial percentage of phosphoric dioxide /24 -28%/.

Starting from 1980s to the present day, the productive density of the two mines is /2650000/ tons, /800000/ of which from Khnefis mine and the rest /185000/ tons from Eastern mines (A) and (B), while the discovered reserve exceeds /2/ billion tons. Eastern phosphate reserve is considered the most important.

The company is willing soon to produce additional amount of the washed phosphate so the general annual production becomes /3.8/ million tons i.e.
The productive density of phosphate becomes /3.85/ million tons starting from 2005.

Most of the produced qualities, /80%/ of the general production, are for export. The rest /20%/ is locally used in making phosphoric acid and phosphate fertilizer in Hims Fertilizer.

The phosphate and especially the raw materials are being transported by railway to Tartous port /265/km away from mines.

The ordinary phosphate (P2O5) is transported in a percentage of /29.75- 30.25%/ to Hims fertilizer and Tartous port while washed – dried phosphate
of /30.75 – 31.5 %/ is transported to Tartous.